We’ve been playing around a lot with our Magento commerce websites over the course of a year or so. Which products on which website, categories, trying to avoid duplicate content, playing around with Google AdSense, etc.
Recently, we decided to change our power tools website, from a Magento commerce site to a Google AdSense site. We still had a couple thousand products from the power tools site in the Magento database. We decided we wanted to move all the power tools to a different Magento commerce site, so we had to come up with a solution for moving or copying all those products to the other website without eating up tons of time and resources. Turns out, it’s actually pretty easy.
- Log in to your Magento Admin
- Go to Catalog>Manage Categories
- Have your default view active instead of just store view.
- Drag the categories you want from one store to the other store view where you want to move them. (This is assuming you want to move the products from one store in Magento, not just copy them from one store to the other.)
- Go to Catalog>Manage Products
- Do a search so that you will come up with the products you want to copy or move.
- Click the Select Visible link. (We do this to be safe at first. You can change the number of products that are visible with your view per page toggle.)
- On the Actions drop down menu, select Update Attributes and click Submit.
- This opens another page.
- Select Websites from the left column.
- Now, check the checkboxes for the site you want the products on and check the sites you want the products removed from.
- Click Save.
- You have now moved all of those products or copied those products, depending on your selection from one Magento site to the other Magento commerce site.
- Make sure you refresh Catalog Rewrites and Layered Navigation Indices in System -> Cache Management
That’s it! Within minutes you have moved products from one Magento eccommerce store to another Magento store.